A dedication to the community, a commitment to facts, and a tenacity to unearth buried truths has earned reporters writing for BeaverCountian.com spots as finalists in the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania’s 2019 Golden Quill Awards.
Journalism professionals have judged reporting by BeaverCountian.com to be among the best in twenty-nine counties in Western Pennsylvania and neighboring counties in Eastern Ohio and Northern West Virginia.
BeaverCountian.com’s reporting from 2018 has been recognized by its peers in a broad range of categories including news features, politics & government, medical & health, science & environment, history & culture, education, profiles, and a double recognition for investigative reporting.
The reporting was made possible with the support of BeaverCountian.com’s premium subscribers, who fund the publication’s independent journalism endeavors in Beaver County.
The nominations are for non-daily publications that include newspapers, magazines, and new media publications like BeaverCountian.com. Winners in each category of the 55th Annual Golden Quill Awards will be announced on May 29 at the Press Club’s awards dinner at Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh.
BeaverCountian.com’s finalist articles and related coverage can be read below.
“An Aliquippa Murder”
– John Paul Vranesevich and Lori Boone
- Timeline: The Murder Of Rachael DelTondo
- Woman Murdered In Aliquippa Was A Beaver Countian Source Who Had Assisted State Police
- Aliquippa Police Chief Seeks Administrative Leave For Officer Following Deltondo Murder
- Aliquippa Police Say Deltondo Murder Crime Scene “Could Have Been Contaminated” By One Of Their Officers
- EXCLUSIVE: State Police And Witnesses Contradict Statements By District Attorney About Ongoing Investigations
- Mother Of Rachael DelTondo Renews Calls For Outside Agency To Investigate Her Daughter’s Murder
- GRAND JURY ACTION! Subpoenas Served In County Corruption Probes – Aliquippa On The Hot Seat!
- Aliquippa Police Chief Placed On Administrative Leave – Target Of State Police Investigation
- Acting Aliquippa Police Chief Joe Perciavalle Arrested By Beaver County Detectives
- City Of Aliquippa Appoints Its Second Acting Police Chief In Less Than A Week
- Acting Police Chief Sealock Removing Aliquippa From DelTondo Homicide Investigation
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Aliquippa Patrolman Was Investigating Possible Departmental Ties To Drug Rings When Fired
- Judge Unseals Some “DelTondo Murder Letter” Court Records – District Attorney Made False Statements To Reporters
- County Detectives Arrest Aliquippa Assistant Police Chief Again – This Time For Alleged Wiretap Act Violation
- Exclusive: Man Admits To Faking DelTondo Murder Letter That Was A Focus Of County Detectives
- Investigators Seize Handgun Belonging To DelTondo’s Ex-Fiance – Catroppa’s Mother & Brother Subpoenaed By State Grand Jury
- Investigative Report: Aliquippa Officer Claims DA Lozier’s Office Retaliated After He Provided Evidence Of Corruption
- DA Lozier Blacklists Aliquippa Officer Kenneth Watkins – Vows To Not Prosecute Any Case He Files Against A Defendant
“A Republican Party Official’s Racially Charged Posts”
– John Paul Vranesevich
- “Overpaid Baboons” – Racially Charged Posts About NFL Players Attributed To County Republican Party Official
- Republican Party Secretary Resigns Following Investigative Report By The Beaver Countian
- Commissioners Camp And Egley Call For Republican Chairman To Resign On Revelation He Knew Of Racist Posts
- Republican Committee Refuses To Take Action Against Chairman – Camp And Egley To Force Vote On Removal
- Republican Party Chairman Resigns In Wake Of Controversy That Took Down Committee Secretary
– April Johnston
Public Affairs / Politics / Government
“A Casino Navigates Secret Local Waters, Banned Founder in Tow”
– Lori Boone and John Paul Vranesevich
- Investigative Report: Camp & Amadio Signed Nondisclosure Agreements – Met Privately With Veon & DeNaples About Casino Project
- In-Depth: Beaver County Officials Remain Mum On Casino Meetings – Butler Officials Refused To Sign Nondisclosure Agreements
- In-Depth: Veon Attends Private Meeting About Possible Beaver County Casino – Faces Deposition About A Prior Failed Casino Venture
- Mount Airy Announces It Is Building A Casino In Beaver County
- PA Gaming Control Board Investigating Mount Airy Founder – Proposed Beaver County Casino Still Needs State Approval
Medical & Health
– April Johnston
History & Culture
– Lori Boone
Science & Environment
– April Johnston
“A Club’s Ethos: A Superintendent’s Outing”
– John Paul Vranesevich, Lori Boone, and Bill Waddell
- In-Depth: Beaver Area School District Facing Controversies And Protests Involving “Young Life” Group
- Republican Party Joins Call For Protest Against Beaver School District – Counter-Protests Planned
- WATCH: Berardelli Backed Down – No Claims Of Religious Persecution – No Calls For Superintendent’s Ouster
- WATCH: Beaver Superintendent Comes Out As Gay – Promises All Students “You Have A Safe Space Here.”
- Beaver High School Principal Resigns – Admits His Suspension Had Nothing To Do With Religious Affiliations
– April Johnston